Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chicken mama

I have recently had the opportunity to start some of my farming dreams. I live on a 1 acre plot and now am the proud chicken mama to 26 beautiful baby chicks. I received them as day old chicks and they are now 5 weeks old, yesterday. They are beautiful. I have 11 Barred rocks, 11 New Hampshire's, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 Brahma.
These were the chicks when they were two days old.The black ones are the barred rocks, the really light ones are the buff orpingtons, and the reddish tint ones are the new hampshires.
Oh and the one with a stripe on both sides is the Brahma, they gave me that one free.
These are my chicks at 9 days old. I put a small roost in the box and they love it.

Right now they are in the coop, and they are lovin it.I will post more pics soon. They love the greens I give them as snacks and they are really friendly. Still have one small heat lamp at night but they are almost old enough to not have any heat at night. I am so excited for them to start laying eggs, they will start laying in about 3 to 4 months.

I don't have internet at my new place, so right now I will not be able to post as much as I would like to but please hang on, and thank you for following.

I made this dessert last night and it was fabulous, I would like to share it with you. I found it in a 1950's cookbook but I changed it a bit.

Brownie Pudding
1/2 cup sifted whole wheat pastry flour     
1tsp baking powder(aluminum free)
1/2 tsp salt(sea salt,I use celtic)    
  1/3 cup sugar( sucanat)
1Tbl Cocoa( I used dark chocolate)        
     1/4 cup milk
1 Tbl butter(melted)
1/2tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar or brown sugar(sucanat)
2Tbl cocoa(dark chocolate)
3/4 boiling water
1/4 cup nuts( optional I didn't use nuts this time)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Sift flour,remeasure then sift flour, baking powder,salt,1/3cup sugar and 1Tbl cocoa together. Add milk, butter,and vanilla. Mix only until smooth. Pour into greased casserole or small baking dish. Mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 2Tbl cocoa; sift over batter. Then pour boiling water over top of batter. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool 1/2 to 1 hour before serving.
If you like chocolate this dessert is amazing!!!
Please enjoy!!
Also I am in the process of clearing the plot for my garden, I am so thankful that the Lord has given me this opportunity. I cant wait to plant and start making and preserving the harvest. In Christ, Sarah.

2 comments:

  1. Baby chicks are sooo cute! Congrats!

    That dessert looks fabulous and healthy, too. Will have to try it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you shared your photos of your new babes! We will be new chicken keeper's too on Wednesday! SO exciting!

    ReplyDelete